Monday, June 23, 2008

Dance like no one's watching

MSN between Mr Fox and myself many, many moons ago:

Mr Fox: You'll never be good in salsa.
Me: You know, that's so encouraging. Thanks for letting me know.
Mr Fox: You're not hiao enough lah.

I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted at this point so I did my usual diversionary tactic of changing the topic.

I wonder if it's the experience that comes with age (Gasp!) but sometimes I'm saddened by the changes that happen in me. From being a chirpy, forthcoming girl (who usually says the wrong thing, apologising unabashedly before being forgiven magnanimously by the other party), I've somehow changed into this self-conscious hag who is conscious about not making a mistake, not saying the wrong thing and not stepping on anyone's toes.

And somehow, this translates into my dancing as well.

It's alright when I'm following a partner, feeling free to express myself, styling without abandon even if it sometimes interfere with his lead (oops). But somehow when the lead lets me go or even just stand stock still to encourage me to shine or style, I suddenly feel like I'm floating in space - awkwardly manoeuvring back to a place with gravity.

This happens even despite the tips and encouragement of nice girls, like Danielle and Chantel who try to explain how to signal that the shine movement parts have ended. All these sound well and good in my head. But when it gets to the dance floor...

I think Mr Fox is right. Some girls just show their best side when they know others are watching, and are thus able to play with and have chemistry with the audience.

For ordinary girls like me, this advice might be best:
"Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching."

The heart of the matter, is the matter of the heart. Whether from the lack of self-consciousness (in a good way), the full seizing of the moment, or just simply enjoying the surroundings as it is (with the music, the people and most importantly, the dance partner.) It is setting the heart and body loose to go with the flow.

With that principle in place, I'd guess it's just a matter of modelling and learning the strategies. Now, to get my body to listen to that same maxim... :)

3 comments:

Chantel said...

I don't agree tat one cannot be good in Salsa if she is not hiao enough. Being hiao enough probably makes it easier for a start... but if u are to see the many professional dancers and instructors around... u think they are all dancing in a hiao way? Answer is NO. Well... sometimes they do look hiao but that is just to add some fun into the dance... nothing to do with tehniques and skills. So gal, fret not... we will get there if we work hard enough. ;)

Chantel

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Yah, you have a point about how not all good dancers are hiao-hiao. I think though some dancers just dance better if they know they're in the limelight - which is what gets me self-conscious. :p

SeLFs said...

WorK= aS unto THE LORD!
LoVe oTheRs aS HE LoVeS uS:
DaNce aS untO HiM iN PraiSe foR whaT HE haS doNe...